Knowing how to maintain a healthy prostate is a must for every man. Fortunately, there are several strategies that can be used to maintain a health prostate, with most of them directly connected to keeping the body in generally good condition. Best of all, these tips can be integrated into the normal daily routine, making the process of keeping your prostate healthy a simple task.
- Watch your cholesterol levels. There is evidence that men who have higher levels of LDL, also known as bad cholesterol, are at greater risk for prostate issues, especially prostate cancer. Just as high levels of bad cholesterol can lead to cardiovascular issues, the additional stress on the prostate can open the door to the development of several different type of prostate problems other than cancer.
- Consume a balanced diet. Making sure that you have a proper balance of fiber, carbohydrates, and various nutrients in your diet will have the effect of helping every organ in your body perform more efficiently, including your prostate. By eating right, you keep your immune system strong, and increase your chances of your natural defenses successfully fending off any problems that could threaten the state of your healthy prostate.
- Get some type of exercise every day. Essentially, anything that is good for your heart will also help you maintain a healthy prostate. Exercise also has the benefit of reducing the amount of prostate-specific antigen or PSA in your body. Lower PSA levels mean a lower risk of prostate cancer. Thirty minutes of walking at a brisk pace, riding a bicycle around the neighborhood or even some aerobics while you watch television can help your body remain strong and more likely to maintain a healthy prostate.
- Don’t put off that annual exam. Many prostate issues can be caught early by undergoing a digital rectal exam by a qualified physician, as well as submitting blood for testing. If there is a history of prostate disease among other male relatives, it is a good idea to start this type of examination early on. At the very least, men over the age of forty should have a digital rectal exam annually as part of the strategy to maintain a healthy prostate.
- See your doctor if anything seems out of the ordinary. Men who find they begin to experience more frequent urges to urinate, or notice low grade pain in the lower abdomen or pelvic region should notify a physician as soon as possible. While the origin of the issue may not involve the prostate, identifying the reason for the increased urination or discomfort in the area near the prostate does make it possible to treat the condition before it has a chance to worsen.
Choosing to make lifestyle changes that tend to maintain a healthy prostate do much more than simply improve your chances for prostate health. A proper diet, regular exercise, and seeing your doctor regularly can help you feel better in general, keep your heart healthy, and increase your chances of enjoying a long life as well as a healthy prostate.
Tips and Warnings
- Contrary to popular belief, a prostate exam is not a prolonged event, and generally does not hurt at all. In the event you do feel some pain during the examination, let your doctor know immediately. The cause of your discomfort may be easily corrected, allowing the exam to continue without causing further distress.
- Many prostate issues can be corrected with medication, especially if detected early. Work with your doctor to develop a schedule that is right for your situation, then stick to it. The peace of mind you get from knowing that you have a healthy prostate is well worth taking the time out of your busy schedule for those visits to the doctor’s office.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!