Learning how to maintain a hot tub might sound complicated in the beginning, but after you’ve maintained your tub for a month or two, you’ll see that the small amount of time required on maintenance will be more than worth it when you get to settle down and soak in all that clean, hot water. There are some chores that need to be done each time you use the tub. Some are weekly chores while one or two need to be done every couple of months. Some require adding chemicals such as sanitizers and purifiers while others require cleaning and re-filling the tub itself.
Basic daily maintenance involves checking the water with special test strips to make sure it contains the right level of sanitizer to prevent bacteria from growing. Some bacteria love hot water, so it’s important to test the water before you use it and add anti-bacteria chemicals if needed. Nasty rashes such as “hot tub folliculitis” can develop in warm water and while not fatal, it is unpleasant just the same.
The steps below outline a general hot tub maintenance schedule, but check and follow the instructions that came with your hot tub first.
- PH test kit
- PH chemical
- Pool chlorine
- Pool sanitizer
- Scale remover
- Before each use test chlorine levels to make sure they fall between the guidelines for safe use according to the instructions on the container.
- Check the pH level of the water—it should be between 7.2 and 7.6. If not, add pH chemicals to adjust.
- “Shock” the tub by adding a stronger than normal dose of sanitizer.
- Remove the tub’s filter and replace with the spare filter you should keep on hand. The filters have to be dry when treated, so you will clean and treat the one you removed from the tub and use it next time.
- Add scale remover if you have hard water.
Every Two or Three Months
- Clean the hot tub cover to insure no bacterial colonies take hold.
- Replace your two tub filters with new ones.
- Change the water in the tub.
Keeping your hot tub pump running most of the time will prevent the water from becoming stagnant and allowing bacterial colonies to form. There are timers available to turn the pumps on and off on a regular schedule.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."