Learning how to make 100% whole grain pasta is a simple process that will produce a healthy and flavorful pasta. Homemade whole grain pasta can be used as a substitute in any recipe that uses commercially dried pasta. Homemade whole grain pasta can be cut and shaped in any size or shape desired. A pasta machine can be beneficial for creating uniform shapes, however, it is not essential to make 100% whole grain pasta at home.
Supplies Needed to Make 100% Whole Grain Pasta:
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Rolling Pin
- Pasta Machine – optional
Ingredients Needed to Make 100% Whole Grain Pasta with Whole Wheat:
- 2 ½ cups Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
- Three Eggs
- ½ Tablespoon Cold Water
Ingredients Needed to Make 100% Whole Grain Pasta with Oats:
- 2 ½ cups Oat Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Whole Milk
Ingredients Needed to Make 100% Whole Grain Pasta with Semolina:
- 1 ½ cups Durum Wheat Semolina Flour
- Two Large Eggs
- Two Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Two Tablespoons Cold Water
Procedures to Make 100% Whole Grain Pasta:
- Lightly beat eggs until well blended. Add liquid called for in ingredients list and mix well.
- Add flour to egg mixture. Mix well until all flour and liquid are evenly incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Continue mixing ingredients with your hands and knead well until dough is smooth and elastic, approximately five to ten minutes.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Allow dough to sit undisturbed for twenty to 30 minutes.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to desired thickness. Cut into desired shapes with a sharp knife or run through a pasta machine according to manufacturer’s directions.
Quick Tips for Using 100% Whole Grain Pasta:
- Pasta will double in size as it cooks. Roll the dough out thin, about an eighth of an inch thickness. Cut the dough into thin strips for spaghetti or fettuccini style pasta. Dough can also be cut into squares for ravioli or long rectangles for lasagna.
- Add pasta carefully to boiling water. The thickness of the pasta will determine the cooking time. Add a small amount of olive oil to the rapidly boiling water to prevent pasta from sticking together. Separate the pasta and slowly add to boiling water. Boil pasta for four to ten minutes. To check if it is finished, break a piece of pasta in half. The pasta should be the same color throughout. Pasta should be tender, firm and chewy.
- Herbs and spices can be added for extra flavor. Grind dried herbs and add to flour before adding wet ingredients. Tomato sauce, apple juice or pureed vegetables (such as spinach, bell peppers, squash or beets) can be used in place of the liquid and eggs in the above recipes.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.