How To Make 3 Cheese Macaroni And Cheese
Learn how to make three cheese macaroni and cheese using simple ingredients and techniques. Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. It goes well as a side dish with most meats, chicken and fish dishes. Sometimes, it can be a complete meal or simple lunch. It is easy to make and most ingredients are found in the local supermarket. The best type of pasta for macaroni and cheese is shaped pasta that is small like elbows, bow ties, spirals and similar shapes. You can combine different type of cheeses like Romano, cheddar, American, Swiss or mozzarella for example. The best way to melt the cheese is to grate it or buy it already grated.
You will need the following equipment for the recipe:
- medium sized steel pan to boil water for pasta
- saute pan or skillet for cooking sauce
- metal or hand held grater for cheese
- medium to large bowls for pasta
- measuring cups and spoons
- 1 teaspoon salt for water
- 1 pound elbows, spirals or bow tie pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups regular whole milk
- 1 lb sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese grated
- 4 ounces of Romano or Parmesan cheese grated fine
- 2 tablespoon of chopped parsley for garnish.
- Fill a medium sized metal pan with water. Put it on the stove, and add salt. Boil water over medium heat. Add pasta to the boiling water. Cook the pasta for eight to ten minutes in the boiling water. Drain the pasta in a colander in the sink. Put the pasta in a bowl. Cover and put aside.
- In a skillet on the stove, add the olive oil and butter to the pan. Melt the butter and combine with olive oil over medium heat, then add the cold milk to the pan.
- Whisk the milk with a wire whisk. Lower heat and whisk the mixture until is hot and bubbly. Do this for at least ten minutes.
- Grate each type of cheese separately using a metal grater. Store in plastic containers with covers, or buy the cheese already grated.
- Add the white cheddar cheese to the the mixture whisking the ingredients in. Add the grated mozzarella and Romano or Parmesan cheese. Use a measuring cup to get an accurate amount. Cook until all three cheeses are melted, stirring occasionally. Do not let them burn, but allow them to melt, making a smooth cheese sauce. Add more milk if needed to melt the cheese into the sauce.
- Finally, pour the sauce over the macaroni and serve immediately or put in the refrigerator until further use. Add the chopped parsley for garnish. Mix through.
- Reheat in microwave or bake in oven if refrigerated. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes until heated through. Serve immediately.