Learning how to make an '80s cutoff sweatshirt is pretty simple and easy. A good pair of scissors will have you rocking your '80s style in no time. By following these few steps, you can easily take your plain sweatshirt to a fabulous '80s cutoff rendition in no time.
To make an '80s cutoff sweatshirt, you will need:
- First, you'll want to pick the perfect sweatshirt to cutoff. If you don't already have one in your closet you can always hit the local thrift store to find that vintage looking sweatshirt. If possible, choose a sweatshirt that has an '80s inspired graphic. If you are working from your own wardrobe, you can always use a plain colored sweatshirt. However, a graphic sweatshirt will give you more of the '80's effect you are trying to achieve.
- Try on your sweatshirt. In order to start making your '80s sweatshirt, you need to try it on so you can mark where you will make your cuts. '80s sweatshirts are best known for the off the shoulder look. The first marks you'll want to make are on the shoulders of your sweatshirt. Depending on how far off the shoulder you want your sweatshirt to be is where you should make your marks. The marks don't have to be perfectly even, and you can even cut one shoulder where it will hang off a little farther than the other. It just depends on what style of '80s sweatshirt you are going for.
- The neckline. While you are still wearing your sweatshirt, make a mark in the center of your upper chest. This will be the mark where you will start cutting out the neckline. The classic v-neck look is a definite must for your '80s sweatshirt. You can probably just eyeball the cut, or you can draw a faint line up to the shoulder mark. You will also want to have the same v-neck mark on the back of your sweatshirt. Once you've marked the front, you can easily mark the back.
Making the cut. After you've marked out where you will cut your sweatshirt, it's time to start cutting. Make sure you have a good, sharp pair of scissors so you don't have jagged lines. Lay the sweatshirt on a flat surface and cut out the front of the shirt first. You'll want to start at the shoulder mark and cut down to the mark in the upper chest of the sweatshirt. Once you've cut out the front of your sweatshirt, cut out the neck in the back of the sweatshirt.
- To cut or not to cut. Depending on the weather, you can either leave the sleeves attached or you can make your sweatshirt sleeveless. If you are going to cut the sleeves off, cut at the shoulder seam. If you are going for a really retro '80s look and want to show off those abs, you can even cut your sweatshirt into a midriff. It's your '80s cutoff sweatshirt, so the choice is totally yours.
Tips & Warnings:
- Before you make any cuts on your sweatshirt, make sure to lay it on a flat surface. Scissors can be dangerous, so you never want to make any cuts while you are wearing your sweatshirt.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.