Need to know how to make an Adonis cocktail? This older style cocktail is rarely ordered today, when everything is about vodka and martinis, but an Adonis cocktail is just right if you like a different flavored drink. The Adonis cocktail is made with orange bitters, and you may have to visit a specialty store to find this relatively obscure ingredient, but the extra trip will be well worth it.
To make an Adonis cocktail, you will need:
- A cocktail shaker
- A chilled martini glass
- 2 ounces dry sherry
- 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth (make sure you purchase sweet vermouth instead of dry vermouth for the Adonis cocktail. Sweet vermouth is dark in color; dry vermouth is clear)
1 to 2 dashes of orange bitters
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
- Fill the martini glass with ice and water and place in the freezer. Leave it there for ten minutes before making the drink. Fill the cocktail shaker half full of fresh ice.
- Add the dry sherry, sweet vermouth and the dash of orange bitters to the cocktail shaker. Place the lid securely on top and shake the cocktail shaker vigorously for at least thirty seconds.
- Strain your Adonis cocktail into the martini glass. If there are small slivers of ice floating on the top of your drink, you've done it just right.
- Add two maraschino cherries for garnish. Sit back and slowly sip your Adonis cocktail. Enjoy!
A well-made Adonis cocktail is quite potent. To lighten it up in taste, strain the drink into a taller beverage glass and top with ice cold, bubbly club soda.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Social-Media Problems Ello Solves
From privacy to nudity—why the Anti-Facebook's time has come.
Beer Brain: Sam Adams’ Kosmic Mother Funk
This private-reserve beer drinks like a fine port or brandy.