How To Make An Adonis
If you want to try something different next time you’re looking for an aperitif, learn how to make an Adonis cocktail. The Adonis cocktail was named after a Broadway show that debuted in 1884. It was the story of an Adonis statue that comes to life. The flavorful taste is of the Adonis cocktail is a great change these days from the flavored martinis and cosmos filling up the bar. The Adonis is a perfect after hours drink while sitting by a patio fire on a brisk night.
You will need the following:
- Three-fourth oz. sweet vermouth
- One and half oz. dry sherry
- One to two dashes of Gary Regan’s Orange Bitters No. 6
- A martini glass
- A cocktail shaker filled with ice
- A flamed orange peel
- Prepare the martini glass. Put the glass in the freezer for at least fifteen minutes before preparing an Adonis cocktail.
- Mix the ingredients in the shaker. Pour the dry sherry, sweet vermouth and Orange Bitters into the cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake until fully blended.
- Pour the Adonis cocktail into the chilled martini glass. Take your chilled martini glass out of the freezer. Strain your Adonis cocktail into the glass.
- Garnish the Adonis cocktail. Take a flamed orange peel and place in glass for presentation.
- Make sure to use Orange Bitters. Using Angostura or Psychaud’s Bitters will give your Adonis cocktail a strong note of gentian, which will make your Adonis extremely bitter. Orange Bitters are dominated by an orange flavor surrounded by sharp floral scent, which is much more suitable for an Adonis cocktail.