Learning how to make African biscuits is a simple way to add variety to meals and provide a flavorful alternative to plain every day biscuits. Traditional South African biscuits, also known as Soetkoekies, are made with a large variety of spices and wine. The sweet African biscuits are great served with tea or coffee. The African biscuits make a great afternoon treat or served during holidays.
To make African biscuits you will need:
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry Blender or Fork
- Cookie Cutter or Sharp Knife
- Baking Sheet
- Two cups All-Purpose Flour
- Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Almonds or Almond Slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves
- 1/2 cup Butter, room temperature
- Two large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Sweet Red Wine
- Mix together dry ingredients. Use a whisk to thoroughly mix the flour, spices, sugar and nuts.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture. Continue until the butter is thoroughly incorporated and resembles fine crumbs.
- Lightly beat eggs and wine together in a small bowl. Add eggs and wine to flour mixture.
- Stir until liquid is absorbed. Continue mixing until dough forms a ball.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut dough into desired shapes, approximately two inches in diameter.
- Place biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet. Allow an inch between biscuits.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
"The African Cookbook," by Bea Sandler.
"The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa," by Marcus Samuelsson, Gediyon Kifle, Desmond Tutu, and Heidi Sacko Walters.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?