Learning how to make African biscuits is a simple way to add variety to meals and provide a flavorful alternative to plain every day biscuits. Traditional South African biscuits, also known as Soetkoekies, are made with a large variety of spices and wine. The sweet African biscuits are great served with tea or coffee. The African biscuits make a great afternoon treat or served during holidays.
To make African biscuits you will need:
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry Blender or Fork
- Cookie Cutter or Sharp Knife
- Baking Sheet
- Two cups All-Purpose Flour
- Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Almonds or Almond Slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves
- 1/2 cup Butter, room temperature
- Two large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Sweet Red Wine
- Mix together dry ingredients. Use a whisk to thoroughly mix the flour, spices, sugar and nuts.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture. Continue until the butter is thoroughly incorporated and resembles fine crumbs.
- Lightly beat eggs and wine together in a small bowl. Add eggs and wine to flour mixture.
- Stir until liquid is absorbed. Continue mixing until dough forms a ball.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut dough into desired shapes, approximately two inches in diameter.
- Place biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet. Allow an inch between biscuits.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
"The African Cookbook," by Bea Sandler.
"The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa," by Marcus Samuelsson, Gediyon Kifle, Desmond Tutu, and Heidi Sacko Walters.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.