How To Make Albondigas
If you want to learn how to make Albondigas, this is a delicious and easy recipe. Albondigas is a traditional Mexican soup made of meatballs, vegetables, herbs and broth. Albondigas is what some would call "comfort food" and is meant to be served as a main course.
To make Albondigas, you will need the following:
- One lb. ground beef
- Half lb. uncooked chorizo (remove casing)
- One-third cup uncooked white rice
- One-fourth cup chopped parsley
- One-fourth cup chopped mint leaves
- One tsp. salt
- Half tsp. pepper
- One egg
- Two tbsp. olive oil
- One chopped onion
- Two cloves peeled and crushed garlic
- Three quarts chicken or beef stock
- One twenty oz. can diced tomatoes
- Two peeled and chopped carrots
- Two tsp. oregano
- Half tsp. cumin
- Four celery stalks (chopped)
- Five quart saucepan
- Crunchy tortilla strips
- Cheddar jack cheese
- Cilantro (optional)
- Combine ground beef, pork sausage, mint, rice, parsley, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix ingredients together with your hands until blended well. Add the egg and continue mixing. Form meatballs using small handfuls of meat and set aside on a plate.
- Put the olive oil in the five quart saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for about five minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the chicken or beef stock, diced tomatoes, oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Add celery and carrots and reduce heat to simmer. Add meatballs carefully, one by one, to the Albondigas broth and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve your Albondigas, top off the soup with crunchy tortilla strips and cheddar jack cheese. You can also garnish with some cilantro as well.