Do you want to know how to make aluminum softball bats? This do-it-yourself project is definitely not for everyone. In fact, you need particular materials, special equipment, and expert skills for this one. But if you are a softball fan, you may be interested to learn how it is done. For a short and simplified overview of the process, read on.
- Steel softball bat mold
- Raw aluminum
- Aluminum smelter
- Heat resistant gloves, apron, and goggles
- Metal lathe
- Metal shaping tool
- Purchase a steel softball bat mold designed to make a hollow bat. Unlike a die cast or sand cast mold, the hollow bat mold creates a thinner bat wall for a lighter bat.
- Melt the raw aluminum in a smelter. Aluminum smelting is an electrolytic process. The melting point for aluminum is 1220.58 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the molten aluminum into the softball bat mold. Allow the aluminum to set and cool in the mold for at least one day.
- Remove the rough cast from the mold. Stay protected with heat-resistant gloves, apron, and goggles.
- Use a metal lathe to smooth the rough edges or seams created by the two sides of the mold.
- Use a metal shaping tool to shape the aluminum bat to the desired shape and diameter size.
- Coat the end of the bat by dipping the handle into a vat of polyresin. Or use an adhesive-saturated fiber for the grip. Let the bat sit for at least one day, to give it time to dry completely.
- Enjoy your new aluminum softball bat.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.