Do you want to know how to make aluminum softball bats? This do-it-yourself project is definitely not for everyone. In fact, you need particular materials, special equipment, and expert skills for this one. But if you are a softball fan, you may be interested to learn how it is done. For a short and simplified overview of the process, read on.
- Steel softball bat mold
- Raw aluminum
- Aluminum smelter
- Heat resistant gloves, apron, and goggles
- Metal lathe
- Metal shaping tool
- Purchase a steel softball bat mold designed to make a hollow bat. Unlike a die cast or sand cast mold, the hollow bat mold creates a thinner bat wall for a lighter bat.
- Melt the raw aluminum in a smelter. Aluminum smelting is an electrolytic process. The melting point for aluminum is 1220.58 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the molten aluminum into the softball bat mold. Allow the aluminum to set and cool in the mold for at least one day.
- Remove the rough cast from the mold. Stay protected with heat-resistant gloves, apron, and goggles.
- Use a metal lathe to smooth the rough edges or seams created by the two sides of the mold.
- Use a metal shaping tool to shape the aluminum bat to the desired shape and diameter size.
- Coat the end of the bat by dipping the handle into a vat of polyresin. Or use an adhesive-saturated fiber for the grip. Let the bat sit for at least one day, to give it time to dry completely.
- Enjoy your new aluminum softball bat.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Why Most Men Should Never Wear Timberlands
Unless you're doing some sort of manual labor, say goodbye to these boots.