You need to know how to make an artificial campfire for a campfire circle in the rain, or where real fire is too dangerous. You can make a fine looking artificial campfire from simple and inexpensive materials. Campfire sound effects help complete the illusion of a real fire.
To make an artificial campfire, you will need:
- 2’ x 2’ plywood base
- Battery operated push light
- Pile of approximately 2” diameter firewood
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Red, orange, yellow, and blue cellophane sheets
- Sound effects recording of a crackling fire
- Place the battery operated push light in the center of the plywood base. Trace around it with a pencil. Remove the light. Draw a second shape that is about an inch bigger than the push light tracing.
- Arrange the firewood into a pile, as though it is a real fire. Keep an opening at the center of the wood that is the size of the larger shape drawn on the wood.
- Use the glue gun to attach the wood to the base and the pieces of wood to each other. Be careful that your center opening remains open.
- Cut the sheets of cellophane into large triangular pieces. Crumple some of the pieces. Glue some red and orange cellophane triangles to the sides of the opening in the middle of the wood. Have them stick up above the wood as flames.
- Place the push light down inside the center opening. Glue orange and yellow triangular pieces of cellophane to the top of the light. Have them stick up above the wood as flames. Put just a few pieces of blue cellophane at the center of the artificial campfire.
- Push the light to turn it on. The cellophane flames now carry the light and look like a real campfire.
- Play a sound effects recording of a crackling campfire to add realism to your artificial campfire.
After you make an artificial campfire, use it for sing-alongs, storytelling, and other events. Turn out the lights for the best effect.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.