Need to know how to make an Augustus cocktail? An Augustus cocktail, when made well, is a delight to the senses of a discriminating vodka drinker. Served in a martini glass, this cocktail has undertones of both sweet and sour. The complexity of an Augustus cocktail will have your guests wondering how you made it. A bit sweet, the Augustus cocktail is just right when paired with cheese and savory crackers or a plateful of fresh fruit such as grapes, apple slices and pears.
To make an Augustus cocktail, you will need:
- A martini shaker and glass
- 1 ounce of good quality vodka
- 1/2 ounce honey (if you like your cocktails less sweet, scale back on the honey)
- 1/2 ounce absinthe
- 1/2 ounce amaretto (just like the honey, scale this back a bit for a less sweet cocktail)
- 1/2 ounce fresh orange juice
- An orange peel for garnish
- Fill the cocktail shaker half full of ice. Add in the vodka, honey, absinthe, amaretto and orange juice.
- Shake vigorously for at least thirty seconds. If using a metal cocktail shaker, you'll know you're done shaking when the outside of the shaker gets cold to the touch.
- Strain your Augustus cocktail into a chilled martini glass and float an orange peel on the top. For more orange flavor, twist the peel before adding it to the glass.
A purist vodka drinker will turn his nose up at this cocktail but, for those of us who are more adventurous, a well made Augustus cocktail is a memory in the making.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.