Need to know how to make an Augustus cocktail? An Augustus cocktail, when made well, is a delight to the senses of a discriminating vodka drinker. Served in a martini glass, this cocktail has undertones of both sweet and sour. The complexity of an Augustus cocktail will have your guests wondering how you made it. A bit sweet, the Augustus cocktail is just right when paired with cheese and savory crackers or a plateful of fresh fruit such as grapes, apple slices and pears.
To make an Augustus cocktail, you will need:
- A martini shaker and glass
- 1 ounce of good quality vodka
- 1/2 ounce honey (if you like your cocktails less sweet, scale back on the honey)
- 1/2 ounce absinthe
- 1/2 ounce amaretto (just like the honey, scale this back a bit for a less sweet cocktail)
- 1/2 ounce fresh orange juice
- An orange peel for garnish
- Fill the cocktail shaker half full of ice. Add in the vodka, honey, absinthe, amaretto and orange juice.
- Shake vigorously for at least thirty seconds. If using a metal cocktail shaker, you'll know you're done shaking when the outside of the shaker gets cold to the touch.
- Strain your Augustus cocktail into a chilled martini glass and float an orange peel on the top. For more orange flavor, twist the peel before adding it to the glass.
A purist vodka drinker will turn his nose up at this cocktail but, for those of us who are more adventurous, a well made Augustus cocktail is a memory in the making.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)