Need to know how to make an Augustus cocktail? An Augustus cocktail, when made well, is a delight to the senses of a discriminating vodka drinker. Served in a martini glass, this cocktail has undertones of both sweet and sour. The complexity of an Augustus cocktail will have your guests wondering how you made it. A bit sweet, the Augustus cocktail is just right when paired with cheese and savory crackers or a plateful of fresh fruit such as grapes, apple slices and pears.
To make an Augustus cocktail, you will need:
- A martini shaker and glass
- 1 ounce of good quality vodka
- 1/2 ounce honey (if you like your cocktails less sweet, scale back on the honey)
- 1/2 ounce absinthe
- 1/2 ounce amaretto (just like the honey, scale this back a bit for a less sweet cocktail)
- 1/2 ounce fresh orange juice
- An orange peel for garnish
- Fill the cocktail shaker half full of ice. Add in the vodka, honey, absinthe, amaretto and orange juice.
- Shake vigorously for at least thirty seconds. If using a metal cocktail shaker, you'll know you're done shaking when the outside of the shaker gets cold to the touch.
- Strain your Augustus cocktail into a chilled martini glass and float an orange peel on the top. For more orange flavor, twist the peel before adding it to the glass.
A purist vodka drinker will turn his nose up at this cocktail but, for those of us who are more adventurous, a well made Augustus cocktail is a memory in the making.