When you learn how to make authentic Jewish Kosher dill pickles, you will wonder why you spent so much money buying jars of pickles in the grocery store. Jewish Kosher dill pickles are inexpensive and simple to make.
To make authentic Jewish Kosher Dill pickles, you will need:
- two cups water
- one tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- one tablespoon white vinegar
- five Kirby cucumbers
- two heads of dill
- one clove garlic, sliced
- one teaspoon mixed pickling spices
Sterilize the pickling container. Wash the Kirby cucumbers with water and dry them on a paper towel. Cut the cucumbers into spears by cutting the cucumber lengthwise in half, then cutting the halves lengthwise in half, yielding four spears per cucumber.
Add the water to a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Add the Kosher salt to the water and boil for two minutes. Remove from heat and cool for five minutes. Add the vinegar to the salt water and cool until room temperature.
Place the dill in the bottom of the container. Place the cucumber spears, standing on end, in the jar. Pack the spears tightly together. Add the pickling spices and sliced garlic pieces to the cucumbers in the container. Pour the salt, water, and vinegar mixture over the cucumber spears leaving one inch of space in the top of the container. Cover the cucumbers and spices with dill.
Seal the container and store in a cool place for three weeks. Refrigerate the container of dill pickles before serving and after opening.
- Kirby pickles are desirable for pickling because they have thin skins and very small seeds. This recipe will yield 1 quart of pickles. You can double or triple the ingredients for increase the amount of pickles yielded.
- Wash the pickling containers thoroughly using dish detergent and hot water to avoid any bacteria contamination. Rinse the container is very hot water and let it drip dry. You can use an old jar with a lid, plastic storage container with a tight lid, or even an old margarine tub with a lid.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…