A lot of people don't know what an autumn olive is, let alone how to make autumn olive jelly. The autumn olive tree does not only produce a fruit like berry that makes autumn olive jelly, but it is also very tasty. The autumn olive originates from China, Korea, and Japan, and is related to the Russian olive. The autumn olive tree is a very large shrub like tree, that is very leafy, and in May produces a beautiful flower. The autumn olive berries go through many different stages as well as colors, before it is ripe to harvest. Some people think that when the berry is bright red it is ripe, but it is actually a maroon like color.
To make Autumn Olive Jelly, you will need:
- About 8 cups of ripe autumn olive berries
- 1 cup of water
- 3 ½ cup’s of sugar
- One package of no sugar Sure Jell
- Your first step is to add your 8 cups of autumn olive berries to your 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. You will need to then simmer anywhere from fifteen to twenty minutes. This is to get the autumn olive jelly started, there are other steps but every step has a purpose. Preparing your autumn olive berries is almost the most important step. This is because if you mess up the berries then you will have to start over.
- Your second step is to run your mash through a sifter. This will mash all of your boiled berries down, and you will end up with about 5 cups of pressed fruit for your autumn olive jelly. This is also another very important step, because you want your jelly to be perfect, you will not want any berries that has not been sifted correctly.
- The third step will be to add 1/3 cup of your sugar, and mix it with your sure jell, and then bring to a boil. When you do this, you are preparing to bring all the ingredients together and make your autumn olive jelly. There is another step to go before you can add the rest of the ingredients.
- Shortly after your last step, you will want to add the rest of the sugar and continue to bring to a boil for a minute or two. This makes sure that you did not add to much sugar at once, and will not end up with clumps or any other problems for your jelly.
- Now is the time to mix all of your ingredients, to make your Autumn Olive Jelly. The result should be your perfect mix of fruit and jells to make your jelly. After all of your work, you should now sit down and enjoy a bite or two. When you finish up, you can decide whether you would like to save all of your jelly for your self, or try handing some out to friends.
You are officially finished making your autumn olive jelly, and I hope you enjoy it very much. This will leave you with about six jars of Jelly to do with what you choose. I hope you enjoy the recipe, and are able to use it repeatedly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.