A baking soda volcano is a perfect science project for demonstrating what happens when chemicals react to each other. The volcano can be made with common household items in about an hour.
To make a baking soda volcano, you will need:
- Cardboard box
- Plastic or glass drink bottle (Snapple size)
- Plastic grocery bag
- Scissors or razor knife
- Masking or Painters Tape
- 6 cups Flour
- 2 cups Salt
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 Tablespoons baking soda
- Liquid Dish Detergent
- Make the volcano foundation. Cut the box so 3 sides are 2 inches high. Draw the peak of the volcano on the fourth side (1 inch taller than the bottle). Cut the fourth side of the box in the shape of the volcano. Stand the bottle up in the middle of the fourth side at the volcano peak then trace around the bottom of the bottle. Cut out the circle. This is the hole you will remove the bottle through to clean and reuse it.
- Make the volcano frame. Cover the bottle with the plastic grocery bag to protect it during construction of the volcano. Make the shape of the volcano around the bottle using crumpled newspaper. Tape the newspaper into place. Cut strips from cardboard scraps and tape them into place over the newspaper to form the shape of the volcano. The strips should attach to the inside bottom of the cardboard box at one end and should end near the top of the bottle.
- Make the volcano. Mix 6 cups of flour, 2 cups of salt, 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, and 2 cups warm water. Mix until the ingredients are smooth. The mixture should be firm. Add additional to the mixture if it is too dry. The mixture should look similar to play dough. Apply the dough to the volcano frame leaving an opening around the top of the bottle. Create a trough around the base of the volcano to catch the eruption. Let the mixture dry. Remove the bottle and the grocery bag.
Make an eruption. Fill the bottle ¾ full of warm water. Add 6 drops of liquid detergent and 2 tablespoons of baking soda to the water. Place the bottle inside the volcano. Pour ¼ cup vinegar into the bottle and watch the eruption.
Do not attach any part of the frame to the bottle. The bottle should be removable so it can be washed and the volcano can be reused. Use craft paint to decorate the volcano.
Children should have adult supervision when using a razor knife or scissors to avoid injury.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?