Want to learn how to make BBQ pulled pork that will impress guests and save time in the kitchen? Look no further than this classic recipe, which uses a spicy dry rub to add flavor to the pulled pork, then tops it off with a tangy BBQ sauce made from everyday ingredients. This BBQ pulled pork is good enough to serve at all your summer cookouts and is easy enough for novice cooks to prepare.
To make BBQ pulled pork, you will need:
- 1 pork shoulder roast, 5 to 7 lbs.
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon black pepper, separated
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, separated
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Stir together garlic powder, paprika, coarse salt, two teaspoons of the black pepper and one tablespoon of the brown sugar in a small bowl and rub all over the pork roast. Let the roast sit at room temperature for one hour.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees fahrenheit. Place pork in a roasting pan and roast for about six hours or until the meat falls apart easily when pulled with a fork. A meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast should read 170 degrees fahrenheit.
- Prepare the barbecue sauce while the pork cooks. Combine the cider vinegar, hot pepper sauce, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, the remaining black pepper (one teaspoon) and the remaining brown sugar (one tablespoon).
- Shred the cooked roast with two forks, using one to hold the meat in place and the other to pull the meat apart.
- Mix the pulled pork with the barbecue sauce and serve on sandwich rolls or as desired. Serves twelve people.
For optimal flavor, prepare and refrigerate the barbecue sauce two days before using it. If you own a smoker, use it instead of the oven and you’ll add an authentic, smoky flavor to your BBQ pulled pork. Heat the smoker between 225 and 250 degrees fahrenheit and cook for one-and-a-half hours for every pound of meat. Every 30 minutes, add a handful of hickory wood chips that have been soaked in water overnight.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”