Learning how to make a bed frame is a great way to cut down on the expense and hassle of purchasing a new bed. Let’s face it; if you want your bed frame to be a quality piece of furniture that is going to last, you are going to have to spend some money. The good news is that this can be avoided if you choose to make a bed frame instead. Even better, when you choose to build your own, you have full control over the style and design of the bed frame.
To make a bed frame you will need:
- Tape measure
- Hammer, Screwdriver
- Nails, Screws
- 2 x 4’s and 2 x 6’s
- When you make a bed frame, the first step is to decide on the design. You can build a frame that simulates the elegance of a four poster bed or a canopy bed. You can also choose something a little simpler such as a box frame. Keep in mind that the more complex the frame, the more difficult the build will be.
- To build a basic box frame, begin by measuring the width and length of your box springs or mattress. Keep in mind that your frame’s width and length should be an inch or two smaller than the width and length of the mattress.
- Next, use the saw to cut the rails of the bed frame. You will now have your two side rails and two end rails.
- Begin assembling your bed frame. Use glue to add durability to the joints. Next, attach each of joints together with two to three screws. Take care not to place the screws to close to the ends of the boards or else they may split.
- When you make a bed frame that is larger than a twin, you will want to run a support beam down the center of the frame. This will increase the sturdiness of the frame.
- You have now made a very simple box frame. You may want to consider adding a head board and foot board to the frame. This will increase the bed frames overall aesthetic appeal.
- To make a head board or foot board, simply cut a piece of plywood to the desired size. You can even carve or cut designs into the boards. Next attach the plywood to the ends of the bed.
- Finish making your bed frame by painting it or staining. Take this opportunity to truly make this a one of kind design. Add your own originality and flair to the bed’s finish.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.