You can make beef gravy simply and easily with or without meat drippings. When you make a roast, save the beef drippings to make beef gravy. Beef bouillon or purchase beef broth can also be used to make beef gravy when pan drippings are not available.
Make Beef Gravy with Pan Drippings
Making beef gravy with the leftover liquids in the bottom of the roasting pan is simple and easy. This beef gravy produces the best natural flavor and makes a perfect addition when served with roast and potatoes.
- After beef has finished roasting in the oven, remove the meat from the pan and set it aside.
- Remove pan drippings from pan and set aside. Add two cups boiling water to the pan, whisking and scraping browned bits stuck to the bottom.
- Whisk in pan drippings. Continue to cook and whisk on medium heat until bubbly.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- For a thicker beef gravy, mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with a small amount of gravy. Whisk until smooth, then add cornstarch to the gravy. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until desired consistency.
Make Beef Gravy with Beef Bouillon or Purchased Beef Broth
When there are no pan drippings leftover from the roast, you can make a delicious beef gravy using beef bouillon granules or purchased beef broth.
Ingredients for Beef Gravy:
- ¼ cup fat – Margarine or Cooking Oil
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Beef Broth (instructions for using beef bouillon follow)*
- Salt and Pepper
Procedure to Make Beef Gravy:
- In a medium saucepan, melt and heat margarine or oil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add flour, mixing well with a fork or whisk.
- Return to heat, stirring constantly. Add beef broth and continue whisking to prevent clumping or burning.
- Whisk over medium heat until gravy begins to boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to whisk and cook until desired consistency.
*Beef bouillon can be used in place of purchased beef broth. Dissolve 2 to 4 teaspoons beef bouillon in two cups of warm water. Use the resulting liquid in place of purchased beef broth following the above procedures for making beef gravy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.