How To Make Beef Stew Dumplings
Beef stew dumplings are very easy to make, and they can be made right in the same pot as the beef stew. Dumplings have become more popular over the years and New York City even has street vendors that offer dumplings as their only entrees. This recipe serves four to six people and the beef stew dumplings turn out light and fluffy from being cooked by the steam, instead of being boiled.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tspn of baking powder
- 1 tspn of salt
- 1 tbsp minced Italian flat-leaved parsley
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Large sauté pan with cover
- Mixing bowl
- Flour sifter or whisk
- Prepare the beef stew ahead of time. The stew should be simmering and cooked thoroughly before cooking the dumplings.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl. If you don’t have a sifter, use a whisk, but make sure the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Combine the melted butter and the milk to the bowl. Mix together gently until it forms a fluffy batter.
- Take large teaspoonfuls of the batter and drop it on top of the simmering stew. Once all the batter has been added, cover the pan tightly so no steam escapes.
- Cook for fifteen minutes without removing the cover. The dumplings need to be steamed so they come out light and fluffy. Removing the cover during cooking will cause the beef stew dumplings to boil.
- After fifteen minutes, remove the cover and test the dumplings. Take a toothpick and gently poke it through the dumpling. If the toothpick comes out clean, then your beef stew dumplings are done and ready to be served.
- If, after fifteen minutes, your dumplings aren’t done, return the cover and continue to cook for another two minutes. Try the toothpick test again and continue this process until they are cooked through.
This can be served as a main meal or in addition to any winter holiday celebration. Other spices that can be added to these dumplings before cooking are dried thyme, oregano or rosemary. Rosemary goes exceptionally well with beef stew dumplings and gives it a woodsy and home cooked flavor. There are many other delicious options to choose from, so try different spices and seasonings to find your favorites.