Impress your other half when you learn how to make Beef Stroganoff for the ultimate comfort dinner with this easy recipe. This classic Russian dish became an American favorite in the early 1940's. The actual history of Beef Stroganoff is still under debate. There has been much speculation as to who really invented this dish. The popular food myth is that Beef Stroganoff was invented by the chef who served the Russian Count Paul Stroganoff. Since the eighteenth century similar dishes have been known to be around, but according to "Larousse Gastronomique, The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia," the name of this dish was invented by Charles Briere whom submitted the recipe to the L'Art Culinaire while he was working in St. Petersburg. Whoever invented Beef Stroganoff, Briere or Count Stroganoff, created an amazing dish that has many delicious variations.
What you will need for Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds thin beef strips approximately 1 1/2 inches long, sirloin roast is recommended but can be substituted with ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion or shallots
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream, can be substituted with plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dry tarragon or 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make Beef Stroganoff
- In a skillet melt three tablespoons butter. After the butter is melted add the beef strips and shallots or onions. Add salt and pepper for taste. If using ground beef cut butter in half, brown meat and drain excess fat. When the beef strips are done cooking put them on a dish to the side.
- In the same skillet add three tablespoons butter and melt. Add mushrooms and saute until cooked through. Do not burn the butter. Add nutmeg and stir.
- Add sour cream or yogurt until heated through, do not let sour cream come to a boil. If mixture is too thick add two teaspoons of water.
- Mix the beef and onion mixture to the sauce.
- Add tarragon to the Stroganoff and more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve Beef Stroganoff over noodles or rice.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.