When you are preparing for a cook out, and you are wondering how to make beer brats, there are three different ways to accomplish the task. You can give the brats a beer bath either before or after cooking. The words 'brats' is a shortened version of the word brat-wurst. While brat-wurst can be served in either link or patty form, 'brats' is used specifically to describe links of German sausage.
To prepare a beer bath for making brats the supplies you will need are:
- 1 saucepan, size 2 quart or larger
- Saucepan lid
- 1 can beer, size 12 ounce or larger
- 1 small diced onion
- 5 brat-wurst links
- Meat thermometer
The steps you need to follow to make beer brats that are grilled before the beer bath are:
- Grill the brats over medium-low heat until they begin to shrink and are medium-brown on the outside. Avoid using high cooking temperatures because brats are thick enough they burn on the outside and are raw in the center when cooked quickly.
- Pour the can of beer into the saucepan and add the onions. The onion flavor blends with the beer to give the brats an authentic beer brat flavor.
- Set the temperature under the saucepan to medium-low until the beer bath begins to simmer. Then turn the heat to the stove's lowest setting.
- Drop the grilled brats into the simmering beer bath and cover the saucepan. Let the simmering beer bath soak into the brats for at least half an hour.
- Insert the meat thermometer into the brats before serving. Make sure the meat is cooked to a minimum of 160 degrees.
The steps to follow to cook brats in a beer bath before grilling are:
- Pour the beer and diced onions into the saucepan.
- Set the heat on medium.
- Put the brats in the pan. If the brats are not covered by the beer, add a second can, or bottle, of beer.
- Cover the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low when the beer bath begins to boil.
- Cook the brats until they turn brownish-gray.
- Test for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer. Make sure the meat is at least 160 degrees in the center.
- Grill the pre-cooked brats until the outside is browned.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”