When you are preparing for a cook out, and you are wondering how to make beer brats, there are three different ways to accomplish the task. You can give the brats a beer bath either before or after cooking. The words 'brats' is a shortened version of the word brat-wurst. While brat-wurst can be served in either link or patty form, 'brats' is used specifically to describe links of German sausage.
To prepare a beer bath for making brats the supplies you will need are:
- 1 saucepan, size 2 quart or larger
- Saucepan lid
- 1 can beer, size 12 ounce or larger
- 1 small diced onion
- 5 brat-wurst links
- Meat thermometer
The steps you need to follow to make beer brats that are grilled before the beer bath are:
- Grill the brats over medium-low heat until they begin to shrink and are medium-brown on the outside. Avoid using high cooking temperatures because brats are thick enough they burn on the outside and are raw in the center when cooked quickly.
- Pour the can of beer into the saucepan and add the onions. The onion flavor blends with the beer to give the brats an authentic beer brat flavor.
- Set the temperature under the saucepan to medium-low until the beer bath begins to simmer. Then turn the heat to the stove's lowest setting.
- Drop the grilled brats into the simmering beer bath and cover the saucepan. Let the simmering beer bath soak into the brats for at least half an hour.
- Insert the meat thermometer into the brats before serving. Make sure the meat is cooked to a minimum of 160 degrees.
The steps to follow to cook brats in a beer bath before grilling are:
- Pour the beer and diced onions into the saucepan.
- Set the heat on medium.
- Put the brats in the pan. If the brats are not covered by the beer, add a second can, or bottle, of beer.
- Cover the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low when the beer bath begins to boil.
- Cook the brats until they turn brownish-gray.
- Test for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer. Make sure the meat is at least 160 degrees in the center.
- Grill the pre-cooked brats until the outside is browned.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.