Knowing how to make a bird house is a great project that requires only some basic knowledge and a little time. You will need to have a few simple woodworking tools to build a birdhouse. While you may see birdhouses that are painted and decorated, this is not recommended as the chemicals in paint aren't good for birds. It's typically best to simply leave a wooden birdhouse plain. This is a simple and traditional birdhouse that is perfect for hanging from a tree in the yard.
To make a bird house, you will need:
- One and one-fourth inch nails
- Four screws
- A screwdriver
- A hammer
- A one foot by eight foot piece of cedar or pine, three-quarters of an inch thick.
- A jigsaw
- A drill
- Cut the wood. Begin by cutting out the wood pieces using a jigsaw. You will need two 9-1/2" x 7-1/4" pieces with a 45 degree peak for the front and back of the birdhouse, one 7" x 6-1/2" piece and one 6-1/2" x 6-1/4" piece to form the roof, and three 5-3/4" x 4" pieces to make the sides and floor.
- Assemble the house. Fit the wooden pieces together starting with the front, back and sides. Secure the pieces together using the nails. Drill two holes in each the sides of the floor piece and position it a half-inch up from the bottom of the sides. Screw the floor of the birdhouse into place. This will allow you to unscrew the floor to clean out the birdhouse periodically.
- Drill the entrance. Drill a hole in the front of the house to give the birds a front door. The hole should be no larger than one and three-eighth inches across in order to attract songbirds. You should also drill a few one-fourth inch holes in the roof and floor of the birdhouse to provide enough ventilation.
- Attach the roof. Nail the roof pieces into place to form the roof of the birdhouse. You can add a hook to the roof of the birdhouse to hang it. Loop a sturdy rope or a chain through the hook and hang it on a tree.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.