Spice up the menu by learning how to make Birria De Borrego which is spiced roasted lamb. Making Birria De Borrego can be a labor of love taking more than three hours to prepare but Birria de Borrego is well worth it.
To make Birria De Borrego, you will need:
- 2 pounds lamb roast
- 6 ancho chilies, dried
- 3 chilies Negron, dried
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 tortillas
- Salsa Verde
- Place the freshly washed lamb roast in a Dutch oven or large pot with tight lid. Add 1 ½ cups of water, garlic, pepper, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, vinegar and bay leaves to the pot.
- Bring the lamb to a boil. Once the lamb is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and put the lid on the pot. Simmer the lamb for two hours until the lamb meat comes apart easily with a fork and falls easily off the bone. Remove from the heat.
- Prepare the lamb. Remove the lamb from the pot and place on a plate or cutting board. Shred the lamb with a fork and cut with a knife if necessary. Salt to taste and place in a pot.
- Prepare the chilies. Cut the stem off the chili and slit it lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Place the chilies in a saucepan with two cups of water. Bring the chilies to a boil and boil for two minutes or until the chilies are tender. Drain the water from the chilies and chop coarsely. Add the chilies to the lamb and mix thoroughly. Reheat the lamb before serving. Serve on tortillas with salsa.
The best way to serve Birria De Borrego is on fresh homemade tortillas. Homemade tortillas are one of the easiest flat breads to make and require few ingredients.
Do not overheat the lamb before serving to avoid drying out the meat for the Birria de Borrego.
Victoria Wise and Susanna Hoffman,"The Well-Filled Tortilla Cookbook." Workman Publishing 1990
Rick Bayless, "Authentic Mexican Cooking." Wiley 2007
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …