Enjoy a traditional Mexican favorite dish of goat stew when you learn how to make Birria De Chivo. Fresh goat meat and the perfect blend of spices and chilies make this a meal to remember.
To make Birria De Chivo, you will need:
- 5 pounds Goat Meat
- 12 Chiles Guajullos
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 pound Masa Harina
- 1 15 ounce can Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 Limes, cut in wedges
- Make the chili marinate. Cut the stems off the chilies and tear them into flat strips. Heat a skillet over a medium heat and place the chili strips in the hot skillet. Toast until the chiles crackle and bubble then flip over until the other side is toasted. Place the chilies in a deep bowl and add with enough hot water to cover the chilies. Soak the chilies for 30 minutes until tender. Peel the garlic cloves and roast in a hot skillet for 15 minutes turning occasionally. Drain the chilies and place in a blender with the garlic, vinegar, cumin seeds, salt, ¾ cups water, and peppercorns and blend until smooth. Strain into a container. Place ½ cup of marinate in a small container, add the sugar, mix well, cover and refrigerate. This will be used for glaze before serving.
- Prepare the Goat meat. Wash the goat meat and trim off the fat. Pat dry with a paper towel. Place the goat meat in a roasting pan with lid and rack. Spread the chili marinate over the goat meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cook the Birria De Chivo. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Add 3 cups of water to the bottom of the roasting pan. Mix the Masa Harina with water according to the package directions to form dough. Form the dough into strips and press onto the lip of the roasting pan. Press the lid in place so the dough forms a seal. Bake for three hours.
- Break the seal. Tap on the hard Masa with a mallet or knife handle and remove the lid. Remove the roasting rack holding the meat. Skim excess fat off the top of the broth left in the pan. Measure the broth as you pour it into a sauce pan. Add more water if necessary to make a quart of broth. Add the canned tomatoes to a blender and blend on puree setting. Pour the tomatoes into the pan of broth and add oregano. Simmer for 20 minutes covered on a low to medium heat. Remove the glaze from the refrigerator.
- Glaze the Birria De Chivo. Place the cooked Goat meat on a baking sheet, trim off fat, remove bones, and brush on the glaze. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Slice the meat, place servings in deep plates or bowls, and cover with broth. Serve with a side dish of chopped onion, cilantro, and lime wedges.
The perfect compliment for Birria De Chivo is fresh homemade tortillas.
When baking the glazed meat be certain to watch carefully to avoid burning the glaze.
Victoria Wise and Susanna Hoffman,The Well-Filled Tortilla Cookbook., Workman Publishing 1990
Rick Bayless, Authentic Mexican Cooking. Wiley 2007
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.