Learn how to make Birria Estilo Jalisco and enjoy a spicy red chile sauce and meat dish for dinner. Birria Estilo Jalisco can be made with a variety of meats like beef, pork, veal, goat, or lamb. Enjoy your favorite meat in a spicy red chile sauce.
To make Birria Estilo Jalisco, you will need:
- 4 pounds beef, goat, pork, veal, or lamb.
- 4 guajillo chiles
- 3 ancho chiles
- 3 cascabel chiles
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 limes, wedged
- corn tortillas
- Make the Chile paste. Preheat a skillet over a medium heat. Cut the end off the chile, remove seeds, and cut into flat slices. Toast the chilies until brown then flip over and toast the other side. Place the chilies in a deep bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak the chilies for 20 to 30 minutes until they are tender. Remove the chilies from the soaking water and place in a blender with vinegar to make paste.
- Prepare the meat. Wash the meat thoroughly, trim off excessive fat. Mix salt, pepper, cloves, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and thyme in a small bowl. Rub the outside of the meat well with the spice mixture. Coat the meat with half of the chile paste, cover, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cook the Birria Estilo Jalisco. Place the meat in a Dutch oven or deep pot with a rack and tight lid. Add four cups of water, chopped onion, bay leaf, garlic, and the last half of the chile paste to the pot. Bake for four hours in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F.
- Prepare to serve Birria Estilo Jalisco. Remove the bay leaves from the broth. Remove the meat to a cutting board, shred with a fork and place in a large bowl or serving dish. Place the broth in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce it. Spoon broth over the shredded meat. Serve in warm tortillas and garnish with chopped onion and cilantro.
Tips and Warnings:
- Another way to serve Birria Estilo Jalisco is as a stew in a deep bowl with hot broth poured over the meat. Top with chopped onion and cilantro.
- If the broth is too watery simmer it in a saucepan until it thickens slightly. High heat can scorch the tomato base.
Victoria Wise and Susanna Hoffman, "The Well-Filled Tortilla Cookbook", Workman Publishing 1990
Rick Bayless, "Authentic Mexican Cooking", Wiley 2007
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …