You have an overnight guest and you want to impress her by showing that you know how to make biscuits from scratch even though you have no clue where to start. Relax. It's not hard. Just follow this simple recipe and you'll wind up being a pro at making biscuits from scratch without pulling your hair out.
What you'll need to make biscuits from scratch:
- One cup all-purpose flour (plus half a cup of flour for dusting the bowl, cutting surface and cooking pan)
- Half tbsp. baking powder
- One tbsp. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- One-fourth cup butter
- One-third cup and one tbsp. milk
- Cookie sheet
- Potato masher or fork
- Rolling pin
- Biscuit cutter
- Prepare to bake. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heavily dust some all-purpose flour over the surface of the cookie sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using a whisk, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients. Cut the butter into four sections and put into the dry ingredients. Using a potato masher or a fork, cut the butter into the flour until you have the consistency of tiny peas. Add the milk and stir or mix the mixture with your hands until the dough is a big ball. One of the fun aspects of making biscuits from scratch is kneading the dough, so have fun!
- Prepare and cut the dough. Place the ball of dough into a floured bowl. Set it aside for approximately five minutes. Knead the dough and place it onto a floured cutting surface. Add flour to the top and roll out the dough until it is about half an inch thick. Using a round biscuit cutter or the top of a small juice glass, cut out circles of biscuits.
- Place the uncooked biscuits on the floured cookie sheet. Repeat the last step with the remaining dough until you don't have enough to make one more biscuit.
- Bake your biscuits. Put the biscuits into the 425 degree oven and bake for approximately twelve minutes. Remove from the oven and serve them hot with butter and your favorite jam. There's nothing more delicious than hot, buttery, homemade biscuits from scratch.
Once she picks her chin up off the floor from surprise over your cooking skills, she's likely to ask where you learned how to make biscuits from scratch. Just tell her you were very close to your grandma, who let you help out in the kitchen. There's something special about a man who loves his grandma. Oh, and be prepared to double your recipe next time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.