The Black Russian is a cocktail with a complex taste that received its name during the Soviet Union Cold War. Be careful not to get confused with the Black Russian’s smooth tasting cousin the White Russian cocktail, as the two are similar minus using cream or milk. The Black Russian received its name, as it is black in appearance and used Russian liqueur to give it a distinctive flavor.
To make a Black Russian, you will need:
- 1-3/4 ounces vodka
- 3/4 ounce coffee flavored liqueur
- Cocktail shaker
- Martini glass
- Tumbler, optional
- Old-fashioned glass, optional
- Maraschino cherry
- Cola, optional
- Use a cocktail shaker to make a Black Russian cocktail. Measure out 1-3/4 ounces vodka and ¾-ounce coffee flavored liqueur and add them to a cocktail shaker to make a Black Russian cocktail.
- Add one handful of ice to the cocktail shaker to cool the Black Russian liqueur mixture. Close the cocktail shaker and shake it vigorously for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Open the cocktail shaker and pour the liqueur mixture into a martini glass. Pour the entire contents of the shaker, including the ice, into a tumbler or old-fashioned glass to serve the Black Russian on the rocks. Garnish the drink with a maraschino cherry on a cocktail toothpick if desired.
- Sweeten the Black Russian cocktail by adding cola to the drink after pouring it into a tall tumbler glass with ice. Adding cola will also give the drink a fizzy texture.
- Adjust the alcohol strength when making the Black Russian cocktail by adding more vodka and less coffee liqueur.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.