If you want to learn how to make BMX pegs, then you’ve come to the right place. BMX pegs are essential for performing all of the special stunts that your BMX freestyle bike is capable of. You could purchase new pegs at a specialty store, but why spend money on something you can make at home for little to no money? Making your own BMX pegs can not only save you a bundle of cash, but it’ll also leave you with a skill that you can use to help out friends and fellow BMX bike owners. The following describes how to make BMX pegs from PVC piping, which isn’t as durable as aluminum or steel pipe when it comes to performing constant grinds on everything and anything. If you like constantly pulling off serious grinds, then you’ll probably be better off buying a set of steel or aluminum pegs.
What you’ll need:
- PVC pipe
- PVC caps
- PVC cement
- 600 to 800 grit sandpaper
- Pipe cutter or hacksaw
- Prep the PVC piping. Use 600 to 800 grit sandpaper to sand the surface down until it has a matte finish. The piping will be painted later on if you choose to do so. Measure out how long you want your pegs to be and cut the piping to that length. Most pegs are about 3 ½ to 4 inches long. Don’t forget to sand the edges down for a smooth look.
- Prep the PVC caps. Glue the PVC caps on the pipe with the PVC cement. Measure the size of your axle on the hubs, and then drill a hole in the cap that is one size smaller than the measurements you made for a tight fit.
- Paint the pegs. This is an optional step. Painting the pegs provides a unique look that can complement your BMX bike.
- Install the pegs. After you’ve allowed the paint to dry (if you chose to paint the pegs), fit the peg on the axle, making sure that the axle bolt clears the opening in the peg. Secure the peg with an axle nut, attaching it to the end of the bolt while making sure it fits snugly against the peg.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.