By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn how to make a bolo tie. A bolo tie is a less formal version of a traditional tie and is often worn on formal occasions in the southwest. By learning how to make a bolo tie, you can drastically change your wardrobe. Try making one in every color!
- Braided leather cord
- Bolo slide
- Two bolo tips
- Decorative pendant, button, or stone
- Jewelry glue
- Damp cloth
- Dry cloth
- Choose a piece of braided leather. Ideally, this cord should be around 40 inches long and around four millimeters thick. Place the cord around your neck, making sure that the ends land evenly in front of your chest. If the tie appears to be too long, use a pair of sharp scissors to trim the cord to the desired length.
- Test the size of the bolo slide. String one end of the leather cord through one of the two bends in the bolo slide. If the cord doesn't easily fit, use the pliers to gently increase the opening of the slide. Remove the cord and set aside.
- Use a metal file to smooth the edges of the bolo slide. This will prevent the leather cord from becoming frayed or damaged. After you have completely smoothed the bolo slide, wipe the surface with a damp cloth, and then with a dry cloth.
- Use the damp cloth to clean the backside of the button, stone or pendant you chose for the tie. Wipe again with the dry cloth. Glue the button, stone, or pendant to the bolo slide, and allow to dry for at least one hour.
- Slide the leather cord through the two bends in the bolo slide, paying close attention to the orientation of the button, stone or pendant. Use the pliers to tighten the bends of the bolo slide around the leather cord. You should still be able to move the bolo slide, but it should be snug enough that it won't slip down.
- Attach the bolo tips. Put a small amount of glue on the inside of each tip, and then push the ends of the leather cord into the tips. Use the pliers to push the leather into the tips. Allow the glue to dry completely before use.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…