Decorate your home easily and economically by learning how to make a bolster pillow cover. A bolster pillow cover can me stitched by hand or machine and requires only a few seams. This simple Bolster cover can be embellished with tassels on the cords and a layer of lace sewn over the fabric.
To make a bolster pillow cover, you will need:
- ½ Yard fabric
- Satin Ribbon or Cord
- Measuring tape
- Safety Pin
- Straight Pins
- Measure the length of the bolster pillow from the center point of the circular end to the center point of the other end. Measure the circumference of the pillow by wrapping a tape measure around the middle of the pillow. Add three inches to each measurement for seam allowance. For example, the length of the pillow (including the diameter of the round ends x 2) is 32 inches and the circumference is 16 inches. The piece of fabric you need is 35 by 19 inches.
- Create a casing for the ribbon or cord at both ends. Fold both short side edges 1/2 inch (wrong sides together) pin in place and press flat with a medium iron. Stitch a 1/4 inch seam on both edges. Fold the end over another ½ inch (toward the wrong side of the fabric), pin in place, and press with a medium iron. Stitched along the finished edge to finish the casing.
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise with right sides together and pin the edges with straight pins. Sew a 5/8 inch seam by hand or sewing machine starting and ending at the inner edge of the casing. Note: Do not stitch to the end of the fabric because the casing for the ribbon will be closed. Press the seam open and flat using a medium iron and turn the cover right side out.
- Cut two pieces of satin ribbon or cord the length of the circumference of the bolster pillow plus ten to twelve inches. Attach a safety pin to one end of the ribbon or cord and feed it through the casing by pushing the safety pin through the fabric. Pull the ribbon or cord through the other end of the casing, remove the safety pin, and pull the ribbon or cord tightly to gather the fabric. Tie in a bow. Repeat the step for the other end of the pillow.
- Pressing the fabric helps to hold it in place for stitching and make the process easier.
- Do not sew over straight pin with a sewing machine. It can bend or break your needle causing the sharp end to be a projectile that causes injury.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."