It is not difficult to learn how to make bouldering holds. All you need is a basic understanding of the shapes required to make your bouldering experience enjoyable. If you are just beginning, you will need to get a good look at some commercial bouldering holds before you try making bouldering hold on your own. You can do this online or at a climbing gym; there may be one in your area.
- Bondo resin
- Resin fixer
- Washers (3/8”)
- Drill bit (3/8”)
- Set down on paper exactly what you want the finished bouldering holds to look like. Be specific; draw out the image if you need to.
- Make reverse shape in clay. The easiest way is to press a commercial hold into the clay. This will give you a good mold with texture. Proper texture is important as this provides the friction needed to be a good hold.
- Press down making sure to fill all creases and crevices. If the bolt plug comes off, replace it with a dowel of the same diameter.
- Place washer on top of the dowel.
- Determine the amount of sand needed to fill mold for your bouldering hold. (An easy way is with water.) If the mold is going to be filled up with 4 oz. of water, weigh out how much ½ cup of sand will be. The sand to resin will be at a 60:40 ratio.
- Spray all of the mold with the WD-40. This eases removal of the mold later.
- Mix up the Bondo resin and the resin fixer together per manufacturer directions. Keep in mind that this mixture will begin to set up in approximately fifteen minutes so everything else needs to be ready for the resin mixture. Have sand measured and ready.
- Mix sand and resin mixture and pour into mold. Let mixture to set for about 3 hours.
- Remove from hold from mold. Any unwanted irregularities, or sharp edges, can be removed at this time from the bouldering hold. With 3/8” drill bit drill down through the washer and into the peg; allow to set for about 3 more hours, and you should be able to mount the bouldering hold to your wall.
- Be sure to work in a well ventilated area with the resin and fixer.
- Have several molds ready as you can pour in quantity this way.
- Were gloves to avoid getting the resin on your hands.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.