How To Make A Bow And Arrow At Home
If you are an avid hunter, at one time or another you might have wanted to learn how to make your own bow and arrow at home. It is not difficult to make your own bow and arrow. You can make one with a few simple items and some basic woodworking tools.
To learn how to make a bow and arrow at home, you will need:
- A straight, flexible green sapling
- A hollow reed
- A serrated blade
- A usable bow string
- Choose the correct wood to make your bow and arrow. Make sure you choose the correct wood for your bow. You will need a green sapling at least five feet long. This sapling should be not made of pine. Good choices include elm, apple, hickory or yew.
- Cut a shallow grove at one end of the sapling you will use to make your own bow and arrow. This groove should be completely around the circumference of the end and should be one-inch from the edge of the sapling.
- Use a bow string that is about eight inches shorter than your sapling to make your own bow and arrow. Tie the bow string to the end of the sapling without the groove. Tie the other end of the bow string into a slipknot and flex the sapling to slip the slipknot into the groove. Pull back on the bow string a few times to test the bow.
- Make arrows for your homemade bow and arrow. Find a hollow reed that is straight, about three feet long. Use your knife to sharpen one end of the stick. Notch the other end of the stick.
Improve the accuracy of your homemade arrows by attaching feathers. Cut a feather in half through the quail. Cut off about a three-inch portion. Attach three cut feathers using twine to the notched end of the arrow.