If you find yourself lost in the middle of nowhere, you will be glad you learned how to make a bow and arrow in the wild. Being lost in the wilderness is one of the scariest experiences, but being lost without food is even scarier. If you are an avid outdoorsman, it will serve you will to learn and practice how to make a bow and arrow from things around you in the wild.
To learn how to make a bow and arrow in the wild, you will need:
- A serrated blade that can be found on a typical penknife
- Choose the correct wood to make your bow and arrow. Make sure you choose the correct wood for your bow. You will need to locate a green sapling and cut a five-foot long segment. Most wood will work, but stay away from pine because it is a very brittle. Good choices for wood include elm, apple, hickory or yew.
- Cut a shallow grove at one end of the sapling you will use. This groove should be completely around the circumference of the end and should be one-inch from the edge of the sapling. Make sure it is deep enough to secure a bowstring without having the bow string slip out of the groove.
- Make a bow string. Find a fibrous vine, use your fingers to crush it and pull apart the vine into strands. These strands can be woven together to form a bow string.
- Use a bow string that is about eight inches shorter than your sapling to make your own bow and arrow. Tie the bow string to the end of the sapling without the groove. Tie the other end of the bow string into a slipknot and flex the sapling to slip the slipknot into the groove. Pull back on the bow string a few times to test the bow.
- Make arrows for your bow and arrow. Find a straight, hollow reed and cut a three-foot long segment. Use your knife to sharpen one end of the stick. Notch the other end of the stick.
- Improve the accuracy of your homemade arrows by attaching feathers. Find a feather and cut it in half through the quail. Cut off about a three-inch portion. Attach three cut feathers using twine to the notched end of the arrow.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.