There are many recipes that will teach you how to make Brunswick stew and they all are very delicious. This recipe is one of the best which is made with okra, potatoes, tomatoes and chicken. It is a traditional southern dish originally made with squirrel meat. Today, many will make it with rabbit as well. But finding squirrel and rabbit meat can be difficult and costly, so an easier chicken recipe was developed. But remember, no southern table adorned with Brunswick stew would be complete without a big skillet of cornbread, dripping with butter so that recipe is included too.
To make Brunswick stew with chicken you will need:
- whole hen or chicken
- four large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- large onions, chopped
- cup of corn, fresh is best
- cups of potatoes, chopped
- cup of okra, ends trimmed off and cut into one inch pieces
- 1/2 cup of celery, chopped
- three cups of chicken stock
- tbsp. virgin olive oil
- two tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup of barbecue sauce
- salt and pepper
- tasp. oregano
- Cut the chicken into eight pieces and place in a heavy bottom pan. Add enough water to cover the chicken by three inches.
- Turn the heat on medium and cook the chicken until it is well done. Skim off the scum or fat from the cooked chicken pieces.
- Remove the chicken from the water and debone the chicken. Cut the chicken into small chunks. Save the water the chicken was cooked in.
- Place the chicken chunks in a clean stockpot with the chicken stock. Add in the chopped tomatoes, potatoes, corn, seasonings and barbecue sauce.
- Cook over high heat until the Brunswick stew comes to a boil. In a separate skillet melt the butter and add in the olive oil. When the oils are hot add in the chopped onion and celery.
- Saute both until soft and tender. Add this to the stew including all the remaining oil. Add enough water from the pot where the chicken was cooked to cover all the ingredients in the Brunswick stew.
- Reduce the heat to a medium and cook for 30 minutes. Add in the okra and cook the Brunswick stew until done. The stew should be thick and not be too thin. Taste and season as necessary.
To make Southern-style cornbread you will need:
- cup of yellow cornmeal (white can be substituted)
- cup of white flour
- two whole eggs, slightly beaten
- cup of milk
- two tbsp. melted butter
- tbsp. baking powder
- dash of salt
- In a medium size bowl put the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add the two whole eggs to the milk and with a whisk beat slightly.
- Add the milk and eggs to the flour mixture. Using a large cast iron skillet, pour the melted butter in the skillet and coat well.
- Pour the remaining butter in the cornbread mixture and mix well. Heat the skillet and pour the cornbread mixture into the skillet.
- Place the skillet into a preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes or until browned and done. Remove from the oven to cool.
- Cut the cornbread into several pieces. Slice open each piece of southern cornbread and put lots of butter inside to melt and enjoy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.