Learning how to make bun bo hue, Vietnamese spicy noodle soup, is not overly difficult, however perfecting the dish is a bit of a challenge. By combining the flavoring of lemon grass with beef, pork and rice noodles, you can make bun bo hue at home using about three hours time. For more information on this classic Vietnamese dish, read on to learn how to make bon bo hue.
- 5 pork hocks
- 6 stalks lemon grass
- 10 1/4 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons mam ruoc (shrimp paste)
- 4 ounces boneless beef sirloin
- 4 ounces boneless pork loin
- 2 tablespoons nouc nam (Vietnamese spicy fish sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound cooked rice noodles
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Fresh basil
- Fresh mint
- Sambal oelek (hot chili sauce)
- Thai red peppers
- Lime juice
- Bring ten cups of the water to a boil in a large stockpot. Crush and thinly slice the lemongrass.
- Add the pork hocks and lemon grass to the boiling water. Boil for ten minutes uncovered, skimming the pan, then cover and simmer on low heat for about 90 minutes.
- Discard the ham hocks or save for another use. Strain the remaining broth, returning it to the stock pot.
- Dissolve the mam ruoc in the remaining 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Let sit for about ten minutes. While the mixture is resting, thinly slice the beef sirloin and pork loin.
- Add the mam ruoc mixture, beef sirloin, pork loin, nouc nam, sugar and salt to the reserved broth in the stockpot. Heat over medium and simmer for about ten minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
- Plate the bon bo hue by adding some cooked rice noodles to a serving bowl. Top with a generous portion of the soup and a bit of bean sprouts. Garnish with fresh basil, mint, sambal oelek, Thai red peppers and a spritz of lime juice. Serve bon bo hue.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.