If you've ever wanted to create a restaurant-style "wet" burrito or just make burrito gravy at home, here is a quick and simple recipe. It can also be tailored to meet special dietary needs without sacrificing taste.
To make burrito gravy at home you will need:
- One (24 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- Two teaspoons of ancho, chipotle or red chili powder
- One teaspoon of garlic salt
- Half teaspoon of black or white pepper
- Half teaspoon of white or brown sugar
- Small (eight ounce) can of crushed tomatoes or paste (optional)
- Half cup of finely diced jalapenos or habanero peppers(optional – very hot)
- In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients over medium heat. Mix together ingredients and let cook until liquid begins to bubble.
- Cover and let simmer for thirty minutes, stirring thoroughly every 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir once before serving.
- Using a ladle or large spoon, pour burrito gravy generously over burrito or other entree.
Variations Of Burrito Gravy
- For those on a sodium-restricted diet, unsalted tomato sauce may be used to make burrito gravy. Garlic powder can also be substituted for salt.
- Tabasco or hot sauce may also used to kick up the heat slightly.
- If an extra-thick burrito gravy is desired, add crushed tomatoes or six-ounce can of tomato paste.
Remaining burrito gravy may be refrigerated and used later to kick up classic American favorites like meatloaf or used as a sauce in enchiladas. This spicy alternative to brown or white gravy may also be used in potato, rice and pasta dishes or as a dip for Mexican finger foods like quesadillas, taquitos or tortilla chips.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?