If you've ever wanted to create a restaurant-style "wet" burrito or just make burrito gravy at home, here is a quick and simple recipe. It can also be tailored to meet special dietary needs without sacrificing taste.
To make burrito gravy at home you will need:
- One (24 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- Two teaspoons of ancho, chipotle or red chili powder
- One teaspoon of garlic salt
- Half teaspoon of black or white pepper
- Half teaspoon of white or brown sugar
- Small (eight ounce) can of crushed tomatoes or paste (optional)
- Half cup of finely diced jalapenos or habanero peppers(optional – very hot)
- In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients over medium heat. Mix together ingredients and let cook until liquid begins to bubble.
- Cover and let simmer for thirty minutes, stirring thoroughly every 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir once before serving.
- Using a ladle or large spoon, pour burrito gravy generously over burrito or other entree.
Variations Of Burrito Gravy
- For those on a sodium-restricted diet, unsalted tomato sauce may be used to make burrito gravy. Garlic powder can also be substituted for salt.
- Tabasco or hot sauce may also used to kick up the heat slightly.
- If an extra-thick burrito gravy is desired, add crushed tomatoes or six-ounce can of tomato paste.
Remaining burrito gravy may be refrigerated and used later to kick up classic American favorites like meatloaf or used as a sauce in enchiladas. This spicy alternative to brown or white gravy may also be used in potato, rice and pasta dishes or as a dip for Mexican finger foods like quesadillas, taquitos or tortilla chips.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.