Learn how to make Cajon conga drums with a few common materials and start using this unique instrument today. A Cajon conga drum is a percussion instrument shaped like a box. It is a hybrid mix of bass, snare and bongo drums. This instrument was first built by African slaves who lived in Peru in the 1800's. You play the drum by slapping the front of the box with your hands while it is tilted between your knees.
To make Cajon conga drums you will need;
- 3 pieces of wood, 18 x 12 x 1-inch.
- 2 pieces of wood, 12 x 12 x 1-inch
- 2 pieces of wood,18 x 1 x 1-inch
- 2 pieces of wood, 11 x 1 x 1-inch
- Guitar string, a regular E and an A string.
- Small saw
- Set a 12" x 12" x 1" piece of wood on your work surface. Apply glue to three of the sides. Set the three 18" x 12"x 1"on the glue lines. Attach the other 12" x 12" x 1" piece of wood on top of the three 18" x 12" x 1" pieces. Use clamps to hold in place while it dries. This will make a box shape for the Cajun conga drum.
- Drill a three inch hole in the middle of the 18" x 12" x 1" piece of wood. Drill in the wood that is not adjacent to the other equally sized piece of wood.
- Make a frame for the strings. Apply glue on the ends of the 11" x 1" x 1" piece of wood. Attach the two 18"x 1" x 1" pieces of wood and then attach the other 11" x 11" x 1" piece of wood
- Wrap strings around the two top corners of the frame. Nail the strings in place. Refer to the Techible diagram on how to place the strings.
- Glue the frame to the open side of the Cajon box frame. Use the clamps to hold until dry and secure.
- Place the 12" x 18" x 5" piece of wood and nail it to the Cajon. This is the part of the Cajon conga drum that you will hit to make music.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.