How To Make Cake Fondant
If you are looking to learn how to decorate sleek and elegant cakes you may want to learn how to make cake fondant. Cake fondant is a smooth icing that that is rolled and laid onto the cake to create a seamless icing cover. Fondant is often used on wedding cakes. You can either buy a pre-made fondant or make your own. There are two basic cake fondant recipes, one that includes marshmallow and one that does not.
To make marshmallow cake fondant, you will need:
- 16 oz Mini Marshmallows (regular will work but mini works betters)
- 2 lbs Powered Sugar
- 1/2 cups Shortening
- Water (Generally between 1 to 6 tbsps)
- Melt marshmallows and 2 tbsps water in the microwave. You can use a double boiler if you are more comfortable with that. Stir continually in the double boiler. Check and stir every 30 seconds in microwave.
- Add 3/4 of the powdered sugar. Use shortening to grease hands and counter tops. The mixture is very sticky.
- Begin kneading fondant mixture to incorporate powdered sugar. Add remaining powdered sugar until it is all well blended.
- Add water as needed. Start with a few drops and incorporate completely before adding more.
To make cake fondant, you will need:
- Corn Syrup
- Powdered Sugar
- Start with a large bowl. Blend corn syrup and shortening. Once blended, add salt and vanilla and continue blending.
- Using a mixer with a dough hook, gradually add powdered sugar. You can knead by hand if you prefer. Knead mixture until desired consistency is reached. Add more powdered sugar or water gradually as necessary.
When ready to use either type of fondant, roll to the desired thickness. The thickness is generally 1/8th inch or thinner. Once desired thickness is reached, place on cake that is pre-iced with a thin layer of buttercream icing to hold fondant in place. Smooth and decorate as desired.