Learning how to make a cake from scratch can be easy with a good recipe and a watchful eye. These basic ingredients can be found in most kitchens, so it is easy to whip up a cake from scratch for an impromptu occasion. By using wholesome ingredients you control the quality of what goes into this favorite dessert. This recipe makes enough for a 9-by-13 inch cake pan or two round 8-inch cake pans that can be easily stacked and frosted.
Ingredients you will need:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose or cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease the cake pan.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, set aside.
- Blend until smooth: butter, sugar, vanilla extract and milk in a separate bowl.
- Break eggs in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Incorporate the eggs into the butter, sugar and milk mixture.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix well. Use a hand mixer on medium setting or a hand whisk to make sure the cake mixture is smooth with no lumps.
- Pour the entire cake from scratch mixture into the greased cake pan with a rubber spatula. Split the mixture evenly when using two round cake pans. Gently tap the pan bottom on a hard surface to get rid of tiny air bubbles.
- Place on the center rack in a preheated oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Watch carefully and test by poking a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- Place finished cake on a cooling rack for fifteen minutes before applying frosting.
- Make sure baking powder is fresh. It can become rancid after six months.
- Separate eggs in a separate bowl to make sure they are not “bad” and remove any broken shell pieces.
- Allow at least twenty minutes for the oven to fully preheat.
- Check for doneness at 30 minutes to prevent over baking.
- Cake flour has a lower protein or gluten content. This will make the cake lighter and fluffier.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.