Learning how to make a cake from scratch can be easy with a good recipe and a watchful eye. These basic ingredients can be found in most kitchens, so it is easy to whip up a cake from scratch for an impromptu occasion. By using wholesome ingredients you control the quality of what goes into this favorite dessert. This recipe makes enough for a 9-by-13 inch cake pan or two round 8-inch cake pans that can be easily stacked and frosted.
Ingredients you will need:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose or cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease the cake pan.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, set aside.
- Blend until smooth: butter, sugar, vanilla extract and milk in a separate bowl.
- Break eggs in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Incorporate the eggs into the butter, sugar and milk mixture.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix well. Use a hand mixer on medium setting or a hand whisk to make sure the cake mixture is smooth with no lumps.
- Pour the entire cake from scratch mixture into the greased cake pan with a rubber spatula. Split the mixture evenly when using two round cake pans. Gently tap the pan bottom on a hard surface to get rid of tiny air bubbles.
- Place on the center rack in a preheated oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Watch carefully and test by poking a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- Place finished cake on a cooling rack for fifteen minutes before applying frosting.
- Make sure baking powder is fresh. It can become rancid after six months.
- Separate eggs in a separate bowl to make sure they are not “bad” and remove any broken shell pieces.
- Allow at least twenty minutes for the oven to fully preheat.
- Check for doneness at 30 minutes to prevent over baking.
- Cake flour has a lower protein or gluten content. This will make the cake lighter and fluffier.