Learn how to make a cake with self-rising flour with this easy recipe using a can of orange soda pop. You can use self-rising flour or create your own cake with this very simple recipe. Self-rising flour is simply flour with baking soda and salt included. To make your own self-rising flour, place three cups of flour in a bowl and add in 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Place the self-rising flour mixture in a sealed glass jar until ready to use. This recipe for an orange cake can be doubled or tripled as need be.
To make a cake with self rising flour you will need:
- 2 1/2 cups of self-rising flour
- can of orange soda pop
- two teaspoons vanilla
- four eggs
- cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of corn oil (you may alternate your favorite oil here)
- In a large bowl put the four egg yolks and with a whisk beat them until the eggs are frothy. Add in the vanilla and with a big wooden spoon mix thoroughly. Make sure to mix in the same direction always. So if you start mixing clockwise, mix clockwise with all the ingredients.
- Beat the four egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. Set the bowl of egg whites to one side.
- Add the oil now and mix the oil with the other wet ingredients thoroughly. Set the bowl aside and mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a bowl add in the self-rising flour and sugar. Mix this together and begin to slowly add to the wet ingredients.
- After the self-rising flour mixture is mixed together with the wet ingredients, add in the orange soda pop slowly in portions. Add in 1/3 of a can of orange soda pop and mix together and then continue until all the soda pop is mixed together.
Add in the egg whites to the cake mixture. Mix the egg whites and the cake batter together by gently lifting the egg whites into the batter, do not mix quickly as you will lose the fluffiness of the egg whites.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan. Add the cake mixture to the bundt pan or other rectangular pan.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees and then place the bundt cake in the center of the oven. Cook the cake for 45 to 60 minutes. Test the cake to see if it's done by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake.
When the orange cake with self-rising flour is done, let the cake cool slightly for at least ten minutes and then with a sharp knife, cut around the edges of the bundt pan. Dust the top of the cake with some powdered sugar. If you prefer a sweeter cake, you can make a simple white glaze.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.