Learn how to make Caldo de Res and enjoy a hearty, easy soup recipe from Mexico. This Mexican stew is the perfect comfort food on cold, blustery winter nights. It’s perfect alone, with warm tortillas or poured over a bed of Mexican rice. Follow this simple recipe to make Caldo de Res and you’ll have a flavor-packed Mexican favorite in no time!
In order to make Caldo de Res with authenticity, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- 2-3 lbs. of bone-in beef shank or chuck
- 1 large onion, quartered
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1-1/2 cups diced, fresh tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 3 potatoes, quartered
- 4 mini ears of corn, cut in thirds
- 1 head of cabbage, cored and quartered
- 2 squash, cut in large chunks
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 5 qt. stock pot
Once you have assembled the ingredients to make Caldo de Res, follow these instructions:
- Remove most, but not all of the meat from the bone. Brown all meat and the bone in large stock pot with oil, salt and pepper. Cooking the bone with the meat helps release the flavor from the bone marrow.
- Add the quartered onions. Brown meat and onion until onions are golden brown. Try to keep the quarters as whole as possible.
- Add tomatoes and enough broth to cover two inches of meat. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to one hour. If the broth reduces too fast, lower the temperature and add broth or water as needed.
- Pour in any remaining broth and enough water to cover meat. Return to a simmer.
- Add carrots and cilantro. Simmer for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cabbage) and continue simmering. Soup is almost done when all vegetables are tender.
- When vegetables are fork-tender (fall apart when pierced with a fork) add cabbage wedges. Cook an additional ten to fifteen minutes.
- When serving soup, garnish with diced cilantro, onions or jalapenos. For an added touch, squeeze one lime wedge over each bowl. Add warm flour tortillas for dipping.
- Notes: When cutting up vegetables, be sure to keep pieces large. Simmering will break up smaller pieces and thicken the broth unnecessarily. When you make Caldo de Res, you want large pieces of meat and vegetables you can sink your teeth into.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."