This recipe for how to make Canadian bacon is just what it says, this will tell you how to make Canadian bacon, not recipes for Canadian bacon. To those of you who have never made homemade bacon, this may sound intimidating. But, rest assured that this is an extremely simply process that will yield a better taste than store-bough bacon, not to mention at a much more affordable price. The first thing you need to know before you start this process is that bacon can be made in two ways, either with a dry cure or wet cure. Both are ridiculously easy, and Canadian bacon must be made with a wet cure.
Before you start, you will need:
- 4 liters of water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 teaspoons pink salt (laments term for nitrate salt)
- 4 pounds frenched pork loin (this just means that excess fat has been trimmed off)
Now that you have all of your ingredients ready, you can begin making your own Canadian bacon. Don't be nervous if this sounds too easy, it is so simple it's almost impossible to make a mistake. So, here's just what to do with your ingredients, and how to make Canadian bacon:
- Heat water, salts, and sugar in a pot of boiling water over the stove. This will create your salty brine. Heat until every particle of salt and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Refrigerate brine until chilled.
- Completely submerge the pork loin into the brine. Your meat will float, so be sure to place something heavy (like a plate or heavy lid) over the meat so that it stays completely submerged for this step.
- After two days, remove the pork from the brine and rinse off well.
- Cut into thin slices, and cook as desired (either bake in the oven for ten minutes at 375 Fahrenheit or fry in frying pan).
Not only is the breakfast meat delicious, it is also healthier than regular bacon. Because it is much less fatty, you get the protein without as many calories. Definitely win-win!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…