Learning how to make a canoe paddle at home is a fairly easy process, but you must have an understanding of tool use and finesse. You will also need certain materials and accessories to undertake the project. Following is information on how to make a canoe paddle.
How to Make a Canoe Paddle: Materials
- Piece of hardwood, one and a quarter inch wide
- Saw, such as table saw or electric hand saw
How to Make a Canoe Paddle
- First, buy all of the necessary materials. They can be found at any home improvement store construction supply company.
- Next, decide upon the size of your wooden canoe paddle. It should have a commanding paddle section (blade), but too large a flat area at its end, and it will be hard to use.
- Trace the shape of the paddle onto the piece of hardwood, drawing with the grain of the wood. It should have a long blade that is at least six inches in width (eight in its middle is great), a thin, one to two inch shaft, and a knob-like handle at its end.
Cut this out of the hardwood using the powered saw.
- Chisel the blade so that it tapers to a thin point. It should be much thinner than the rest of the paddle when you have finished chiseling it.
- Sand the paddle all over so that it is very smooth. The shaft should be rounded, and the paddle's tip, curved; the handle should also be well rounded, and comfortable in your hand. Once you have sanded it, apply waterproof varnish, and you may put it to use in the water.
Learning how to make a canoe paddle is not too hard, and with a little time and effort, you can easily manufacture a beautiful canoeing accessory that works as well as any store-bought paddle.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.