It is fun to make car air fresheners to use for yourself or to give as gifts. Air fresheners you buy do not always last as long in comparison with the cost. An inexpensive car air freshener can be made using glue and potpourri. Most car air fresheners that you can buy are very strong, but then fizzle quickly. If you make your own, you can choose and control the amount of scent. It is an easy process and something most kids can do.
To make car air fresheners, you will need:
- White school glue
- Dry potpourri
- Elastic string or long rubber ban
- Cooking spray
1. Choose a mold for your car air freshener. It can be as complicated as a soap or small candle mold or as easy as a lid from a jar. Cookie cutters and kid's dough shapes also make a good choice. If you use a mold without a bottom, be sure to place it on top of wax paper while you work with it and until it dries.
2. Spray the mold with cooking spray or coat with a thin layer of petroleum jelly. You will be working with glue and this step will allow the air freshener to be removed more easily.
3. Place a thin layer of dry potpourri onto the bottom of the mold to cover it completely. Apply a thin layer of glue and then more scented bits. Press the potpourri into the mold over the glue.
4. Continue pushing layers of potpourri into layers of glue. You want the dried flowers to be covered with glue, but not oozing. Continue adding layers until the mold is half full.
5. Apply another layer of glue. Fold the string in half and place the end on top of the last layer. The loop should be hanging out of the mold and long enough to hang where you want to keep the air freshener in the car. Hold in place until you have added more layers.
6. Allow enough time for the air freshener to dry. Usually, it will take between twenty-four to forty-eight hours to dry, deepening on the thickness.
7. Remove the car freshener carefully from the mold. If it still feels tacky or damp after you remove it, place it on wax paper to continue to dry.
- If you desire a stronger scent with your car air freshener, add a drop of scent to the glue and mix well. Do not add any more then a drop or it will keep the homemade air freshener from hardening.
- An advantage to using cookie cutters for the mold is that you can press the air freshener out instead of shaking or prying.
- If you want to experiment with color, add a little paint to the glue.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.