This article on how to make cheddar cheese curds will teach you step by step instructions so you can make the most delicious home made cheese curds you've ever had! Cheese curds are the fresh curds of unaged cheddar cheese. Usually, they are prepared and eaten within the same day. They are known for their soft texture, similar to that of mozzarella string cheese. Wisconsin is the largest producer of cheese in the nation and the largest producer of cheese curds as well. When it comes to cheese curds, the fresher the better and after 12-24 hours, they lose their freshness and start to dry out.
Here is a recipe for how to make cheddar cheese curds. The items you will need are:
- ten-quart stainless steel pot
- Cheese cloth
- Hot water
- Measuring cups
- Cheese press
- Draining basket
- Cheese starter
- The first step to making cheddar cheese curds is to heat your milk to 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Be careful not to boil your milk as this can create dry and flaky curds, something you don't want.
- Stir your milk continuously and add your starter and rennet to you cheese curd mixture. You can purchase this from cheese dealers or these can be found within a cheese making kit. At this point, discontinue stirring your milk and let it stand for about ten minutes. The rennet will help form the milk into cheese curds.
- After the 30 minutes, place your curds into a bowl floating in 100 degree Fahrenheit water to encourage more curd separation. Creating cheddar cheese curds takes a couple of hours and will require to drain the bowl several times during this period.
- Once you have completed the two hour process remove your curds and dry at room temperature for 12-24 hours. For a sharper flavor, you can dry your curds in your refrigerator for the same time frame. You can dry on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
After drying for 12-24 hours, you can now enjoy your fresh and delicious cheddar cheese curds!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …