If you are looking for a quick and easy meal for cold winter nights, learning how to make chicken and dumplings with tortilla shells can come in handy. Unlike classic chicken and dumplings recipes, this recipe uses flour tortillas, which absorb the liquid during cooking to create the tender dumplings. To make chicken and dumplings with tortilla shells, you will need just a few ingredients and about an hour time.
To make chicken and dumplings with tortilla shells, you will need:
- 1 whole chicken, about 3-5 pounds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package flour tortilla shells
- 1/2 cup flour
Preparation method for chicken and dumplings with tortilla shells:
- Boil the chicken to cook it completely and allow to cool. Remove the meat from the bones, discarding the carcass, skin and liquid. Chop the chicken or shred it with a fork.
- Saute the chopped onion and celery in a large stock pot or saucepan with the olive oil. Cook, stirring frequently, for about five minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the chopped chicken, cilantro, black pepper, cayenne pepper and chicken broth. Simmer on medium-low heat for about twenty minutes, stir in the milk.
- Tear or cut the flour tortillas into bite-sized pieces. Place the tortilla shell pieces in a large plastic bag with the flour, shaking the bag to coat. This will prevent the tortilla pieces from sticking together.
- Add the tortilla pieces to the saucepan and simmer for about ten minutes or until they absorb the liquid. Stir the mixture occasionally.
Season with additional salt and pepper if needed, then serve.
Chicken and dumplings with tortillas tips:
- In a pinch, mix cooked chicken with chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, seasonings and tortilla pieces. Cook until warm and creamy.
- Vary the seasonings, omitting the cilantro and cayenne pepper for a more mellow taste or adding one jalapeno pepper for extra spice. One package dry onion soup mix can also be used in place of the seasonings.
- Add in one or two cooked potatoes, cubed, for extra texture and volume.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?