If you want to walk away from the dinner table feeling stuffed tonight, you need to learn how to make chicken dumplings from scratch. On a cold, winter day there is no dish that better exemplifies comfort food than chicken and dumplings. Chicken dumplings are nothing more than little pieces of dough that you boil in broth, and while you can make dumplings out of canned biscuit dough, you can save money and make better chicken dumplings if you just make them from scratch. Making chicken and dumplings from scratch is a staple of Southern cooking and required learning for anyone looking to make this style of food. The recipe here is for a basic chicken and dumplings, but feel free to include your own chicken spices or rubs to make this dish according to your particular tastes.
- 3 pounds chicken
- 2 ribs celery
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups of AP flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup of milk
- Place the chicken in a large pot.
- Add the celery and broth. Then cover the chicken with water.
- Bring the water to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer to chicken. Wait about an hour until the chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and lower the heat.
- Place the butter and milk in a small saucepan and heat until the butter is melted.
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the milk and butter to the flour mixture. Knead this dough until it forms a ball.
- Roll the ball of dough out until it is about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 1-inch squares.
- Add the cream of chicken soup to the large pot and raise the heat to medium-low.
- Add the dough squares to the pot. Cook these for about eight minutes.
- Tear the chicken into shreds.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the pot and simmer until the chicken is warm.
- Spoon out the chicken and dumplings into a bowl and enjoy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.