How To Make Chicken Fried Steak
If you are trying to figure out how to make chicken fried steak, fret no more. Chicken fried steak is a scrumptious food enjoyed by millions. In about 35 minutes, you can have a homemade chicken fried steak covered in savory gravy.
To make chicken fried steak, you will need:
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 11/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 lb. cube steak, cut into four pieces
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 14 oz reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Do a quick prep. To prepare to make chicken fried steak you will need to coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Make sure the whole pan is coated to prevent sticking. You will also need to preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Create an assembly line. When making chicken fried steak, you will need to use a plate and some bowls to create a line. Pour the all purpose flour onto a plate. You will then need to place the egg whites into a bowl. Then place a 1/4 cup of cornstarch, corn meal, whole wheat flour, and paprika in a large bowl. Whisk the mixture so that everything is blended.
- Season your steaks. Chicken fried steak is known for its southern flavor. So, you will need to season the steaks very well. Season both sides with a 1/2 tsp. of both salt and pepper. Season each piece of steak the same way.
- Coat the steaks. After you have seasoned your steaks, you will need to coat them. This is what makes the steak chicken fried steak. Place your steak in the flour and make sure they are fully coated. You will want to shake off any excess flour. Next you will dip the flour coated steaks into the egg whites. The egg whites work as a sticking agent. Now coat the steak in the cornmeal mixture. Repeat this step on each piece of steak.
- Cook the steaks. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place just one tbsp. of oil in the pan and let it heat up. Once the oil is heated, turn the heat down to medium. Place two steaks in the pan and brown on both sides. The chicken fried steak should only be turned once. The browning should take between three and five minutes. Put the fried steaks on the prepared baking sheet. You will need to do the same for the other two steaks. Bake these steaks for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the gravy. To prepare the gravy for the chicken fried steak, use the same pan used to fry the steaks. Pour the broth into the pan and boil over medium heat. Boil for about three to five minutes, stirring occasionally. Slowly whisk in the water and remaining corn starch. Whisk it until it is smooth and remove the pan from the burner. Now stir in the cornstarch mixture. Place the pan back on the burner and mix while heating. Heat until it has thickened. You will then need to add the half and half. Season with the remaining salt and pepper for a delicious gravy to pour over your chicken fried steak.