Would you like to learn how to make chicken stew with dumplings like your grandmother used to make? Chicken stew is good for cold winter nights to keep you warm or as comfort food when you are feeling homesick. Dumplings are like soft biscuits that cook in the stew and absorb the flavor of the dish. These are great with chicken or beef and when served in place of noodles or potatoes.
To make chicken stew with dumplings you will need:
- 1 stewing chicken, cut up or 2 ½ lbs of chicken thighs or legs
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb of potatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons pepper
- 2 cups of prepared biscuit mix
- 1 cup of milk
Alternate Dumpling Recipe:
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or shortening
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Set a large pot of water on the boil. Add chicken, carrots, onions, potatoes and celery.
- Prepare the dumplings. If using biscuit mix, just add milk to the powder and mix to make sticky dough. If making it homemade, combine the dry ingredients and add the liquid to make sticky dough.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is no longer pink. Test with a fork at the thickest piece near the bone. If it is still pink or bloody, return to the pot and cook longer.
- Drop the dumplings by spoonful into the hot stew and cook ten minutes uncovered. Cover and cook an additional ten minutes.
If your stew is not thick enough, you can add a can of prepared chicken gravy or make a white sauce with flour, butter and milk. Melt butter in pan, add three tablespoons of flour, and cook until the flour begins to brown. Add one cup of milk and stir with whisk to remove lumps.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”