How To Make A Chinese Lantern
Learn how to make a Chinese lantern so that you can use it for decoration or use it to bring in the Chinese New Year. Chinese lanterns are part of the festival celebrated as part of the close of festivities for the Chinese New Year. That makes this project one that is a great way to develop understanding of diversity in young children. Use the items listed below to make a Chinese lantern.
- Colored construction paper
- Staples, glue or tape
- Fold the paper. When you make the fold in the paper, you will be making a long fold rather than a short one. Fold the paper for the Chinese lantern so that you have a long, thin rectangle.
- Mark your slits. This Chinese lantern has slits to see the light through. To make these slits even, measure one-quarter inch from the edge of the paper not on the fold. Mark this measurement lightly down the length of the paper.
- Cut your slits. Cut the slits by starting along the fold line and cutting up to the marked line. These will be the slits for your Chinese lantern.
- Put it together. To turn your construction paper into a Chinese lantern, first open the folded paper. Then, put the shorter edges of the paper together and staple, tape or glue them so that you have a Chinese lantern.
- Make a handle. If you want to make a handle for the lantern, simply cut a strip of paper or string about one-half inch wide and about six inches long. Attach the paper or string to the Chinese lantern by stapling, taping or gluing each end of the strip to opposite sides of the lantern.
- Use the lantern. This Chinese lantern is not really safe to use with candles. Instead, you can put Christmas lights in the bottom of the lantern so that the light shines through the slits, then hang your lantern!